Friday, October 15, 2010

Narrative Interactions: Sagadi

A couple of weeks ago, I was in Sagadi, Estonia, teaching a graduate seminar for the Nordic Narrative Network.  It was a great experience, and made me think a lot about the value of connecting different streams of narrative research, but also how difficult it sometimes is to bridge the gap between literary-critical v. sociolingiustic perspectives.

I spent some time debating the importance of contextualism in relation to unnatural narratives with my good friend, Jan Alber.  For me, the reader's frames of reference and their cultural situation precede their interpretation to define a scenario as 'unnatural' or not, at least when this moves beyond concrete examples of logical impossibility.  And the cultural differences in interpretation strike me as something that would be interesting to explore too. But I'm not convinced that literary narratologists would see things the same way. Does that matter?  What do you think?

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Stacey said...

Enjoyed the seminar at Sagadi and in particular your work on digital narratives. I am very interested in reading more of your work! About your questions, I think that new cultural phenomena can and should be looked at through new paradigms and methods.

6:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home