Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Blogging like a man

I was just checking out Jess's blog and saw this fascinating post about gender genie. For those of you who don't know (yet) this is a piece of software that thinks it can guess if you are male or female on the basis of your writing style.

Guess what - apparently I blog like a man. Clearly, this is an indication that I, like Jess, am active, dynamic and able to put my point of view across clearly!

Well, those of you who know me in person can smile at that apt description!

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whereas I, apparently, have a woman's blog.

I should probably give it back...

7:41 AM  
Blogger Cathy said...

And I am sometimes a man, and sometimes a woman...

8:09 AM  
Blogger Dr. Jessica Laccetti said...

I would have to agree that you can def. put your point across - with a little help from graphs, tables, and doodles!

4:25 PM  
Blogger Ruth Page said...

Both Matt and Cathy's comments just go to prove that there is no way of making unequivocal statements about gender and writing style. Maybe there is something about gendered assumptions of academic style prose in there too. And on a more personal note to Jess's comment, yes, I am always happy to add a diagram to fill out the words!

1:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home